The idea of a vacuum cleaner that can be taken anywhere irrespective of whether there is an electricity outlet nearby and that doesn’t require you to deal with an irritating cord getting in the way of your cleaning sounds great. However, don’t keep your expectations too high; these devices come with several limitations and they cannot replace normal corded vacuums.
Advantages of Portable Vacuum Cleaners
Cordless sweepers and handhelds have several benefits over conventional corded cleaners. They are completely portable, more compact and cost effective. They also save one a lot of time and their dust container can be emptied much more easily.
- Portability: One of the biggest benefits of these cleaners is that they are cordless and light-weight. This means that they can be moved around without much effort and there is no cord restricting their motion or location. You can use them in your car, garage, or even your balcony; there is just no limit to where these handy appliances can be used.
- Compactness: Portable vacuum cleaners are smaller and narrower. There size and shape allows you to reach small spaces and corners. They can even reach the narrow spaces behind the furniture, and they can be twisted and rotated at any angle for a spotless clean. Their small size also allows easier storage.
- Save Time: If you have kids or pets, so that you often have to encounter accidental spills then portable vacuum cleaners are essential for you. The trouble of taking out your traditional corded cleaner and carrying it to the location of spill needs tremendous amount of time and energy, but with cordless devices end all this hassle. They are a great alternative to small, quick cleaning jobs.
- Easy to Empty: The dust collection container is much smaller, and can be emptied easily by giving it a slight shake over a trash can. While cleaning large traditional cleaners is a much heavier task; you have to make sure that the dust doesn’t scatter while cleaning them.
- Low Priced: These cleaners are generally more affordable.
Disadvantages of Portable Vacuum Cleaners
These cleaners are very convenient for small cleaning jobs, but they cannot replace the traditional cleaners because they are less powerful, require frequent recharging, have lower capacity, and have shorter life.
- Lack Power: Since these cleaners need to be light-weight, they have much smaller motors. Therefore, these appliances lack the power to trap debris trapped deep into your carpets. These cleaners are unsuitable for rigorous cleaning.
- Low Battery Life: Usage of these cleaners for ten to fifteen minutes will consume all the battery which often needs to be recharged for hours.
- Lower Capacity: Since the collection container is much smaller, these cleaners will fill up really quickly and need to be emptied much more often.
- Shorter Life: Portable vacuum cleaners have much shorter life-span. They will generally serve your small cleaning needs for just 1-2 years because their battery dies out really quickly.